Bombay High Court directs a 3-member Committee to be set-up to assess the modified Manodhairya scheme

Bombay High Court directed a 3-member Committee to be set up to look into the changes made to the Manodhairya scheme by Maharashtra government in August this year. The said scheme provides compensation for victims of sexual assault and acid attack. Under the changes made to the scheme, the amount of compensation to the victims was raised from Rs. 3 lakh to Rs. 10 lakh. However, Aadhar card has been mandatory to avail compensation and only 25 per cent of the amount will be given to the victim and the remaining 75 per cent will be kept in fixed deposit for 10 years. In case the victim is a minor, the period of fixed deposit will be 20 years. Clearly, the modifications made to the scheme fail to take into account the insufficiency of the initial compensation given, for covering all the medical and legal expenditures. The Committee will be responsible for recording the opinions and suggestions of all the stakeholders, including NGOs that are working this area, and come up with a model scheme for compensation to these victims.

Source:http://bit.ly/2zWx5mN